SHOULD I GET A JOB OR… ?
Should I get a job or should I start a business? This is a genuine question we hear every now and then, especially from fresh graduates and members of the about-to-graduate crew.
Whether you get a job or start a business, it is still work; and no form of work is more dignifying than the other. It is understandable that people lean towards either of these two options based on their personality types, experience, resources, life goals and even age but it is just not acceptable to undermine the power of any; landing a corporate job is not inferior to starting a business. The world needs “9-to-5” workers as much as it needs “business owners”. And guess what? Both of them are entrepreneurs…
If you’re still making up your mind which is for you, consider this post as a snack to interrupt, help clarify your thoughts and lead you towards the answer you seek. How do you know which is for you? Here are some questions that will help you make up your mind, or at least know yourself some more…
WHO AM I and WHAT AM I LIKE?
• What type of person are you? What are your personality traits?
• What opportunities excite you and why?
• Are you more of a ‘thinker’ who enjoys innovating, or a ‘doer’ who enjoys working with things in the real world?
• Do you consider yourself to be an artistic, creative person, or are you more interested in routine, concrete activities?
• Are you a seller or a builder?
• What are you amazingly good at? What are your precious gifts?
• What do your friends always say you’d be good at, or suggest you should do for a living? If you don’t remember, then go ask three of them.
WHAT IS MY WORK STYLE?
• Are you more cooperative or competitive?
• Do you prefer helping others, leading and influencing others, or not working with people?
• Do you prefer to strategise or implement?
• When was the last time you massively over delivered on something? What was it and why did you work so hard?
• Are you proactive or do you prefer to be given specific guidelines and clear instructions
• Would you like to work overtime?
WHAT KIND OF LIFE DO I WANT TO HAVE
• How much control do you need to have over your own time?
• Where do you want to live?
• How much money do you really need?
• Is there a good chance you will make as much money as you want or need?
• What is your definition of success?
• What really motivates you? Money? Influence? Work-life balance?
• If you did not have to get a job or start a business, how would you fill your twenty-four hours daily?
WHO DO I WANT TO BE?
• What is your desire? Do you want to be rich or famous?
• What would you like to be known for?
• What would you like to accomplish before you die?
• Are you making your choices to please somebody else?
• Assuming you had a job, what do you think you will like most about your work?
• Can you truly succeed at this job or business you desire to do? If not, why not?
These questions are important because they reveal parts of yourself that you have not previously considered and unveil thinking patterns you were not previously aware of. So, what do you think?
Whatever you choose, don’t chase money or famous success; decide to make a difference… Decide to be your best and success will find you.
Please note that your comments are always welcome, Feel free to also share this post.
You can subscribe to lifewords’ mailing list below and get updated once there’s a new post. It will be delivered to you by email.
Thanks for taking out time to read this post, I hope you were edified.
Image Source: Google Images